Saturday 19 January 2013

Snow has a strange effect on me!

Has the snow made you want to cook? 

For some reason, I always seem to spend the day cooking when it snows... I tried to keep it healthy but with a house full of teenage boys I'm afraid I let the side down and made brioche, flapjack and cake (but also a yummy chicken soup)! 

That said, home baked goodies are much nicer than the sweet and cakey stuff that you buy in the shops and although contain sugar, they don't contain preservatives and you know exactly what's in it. Although there's no need for preservatives in my house because it's all gone in seconds!

I was lucky on this snowy occasion... I had been shopping a few days before and the cupboards were fairly full so I could spend the day cooking and baking (and even getting my boys involved to a degree). It also reinforced the fact that cooking is a pleasure if you're organised and have everything to hand.

So, plan your week ahead, get your shopping done... make a list of what you need and don't buy anything that you even slightly consider 'I might not use this' even if it's on offer because the chances are... it will end up in the bin. Only buy what you need and plan to use, it keeps costs down and satisfaction high.

I posted a recipe on my 'horse meat' blog the other day and the following day I tried it out (it had come from another blogger and I was curious to give it a go). WOW... it was awesome and so simple. I also made a fantastic soup with the left overs, it fed my family of 5 for 2 days!

I must admit, winter is my most favourite time of year to cook, so my challenge is to continue this domestic goddess behaviour throughout the year.

Watch this space....


No comments:

Post a Comment